Selecting a Cosmetic Dentist
Cosmetic dentistry essentially began when dentists started altering smiles with tooth-restorations and advanced replacement techniques. In theory, all dentists are trained cosmetic professionals, but since technology has evolved dramatically over the years, cosmetic dentistry is largely recognized today as a specialized, niche-area of dentistry.
The primary focus for a cosmetic dentist is to create facial beauty, a demand that is increasingly high in an era that values cosmetic splendor. Methods and techniques are constantly being refined, allowing dentists to reach a level of cosmetic excellence that was once thought to be technologically impossible.
Questions to Ask When Selecting a Cosmetic Dentist
Selecting the right cosmetic dentist to improve your smile shouldn’t be arbitrary. After all, skill levels do vary among cosmetic dentists, so the decision to use a professional with years of experience and proven results is imperative.
Perhaps the first step is to determine a desire or a need for cosmetic change. The next step is to find a cosmetic specialist to carry out the repairs by asking the following questions:
- Do I meet the criteria for cosmetic repair?
- Are my dental goals feasible and practical?
- Can you demonstrate the proposed change(s) with a computer simulation or perhaps a model or replica?
- Is there an option for temporary crowns or veneers so I can preview the proposed change(s) beforehand?
- What process do you use to determine the correct shapes, sizes, and colors of teeth before making permanent changes?
- What are the advantages, possible dangers or risks, and alternatives for your cosmetic recommendations?
- Can you explain the short-term and long-term effects that your cosmetic recommendations may have on my dental health?
- May I see examples of your previous work?
- What are the financial costs involved and the expected time frame for completion?
- Describe how you work with dental technicians to create desired results?